CT83 - 長
長 is an important character.
長 has two meanings. One is long or length, and as an extension, to grow, to increase. The other meaning is chief or leader.
In Chinese, 長 is read cháng when it means long, but zhǎng when it means to grow or leader. Confusing, right?
長い(ながい) is the most common way of saying long in Japanese. That would be 길다 in Korean, and 長(cháng) in Chinese.
成長(せいちょう, 성장, chéngzhǎng) means growth, to mature, to grow.
Now, let’s examine 長 in its meaning of leader:
- 医長(いちょう): medical director.
- 課長(かちょう, 과장): section manager, head of a department.
- 機長(きちょう, jīzhǎng): pilot.
- 市長(しちょう, 시장, shìzhǎng): mayor.
- 社長(しゃちょう, 사장, shèzhǎng): company president.
- 隊長(たいちょう, 대장, duìzhǎng): commanding officer.
- 班長(はんちょう, 반장, bānzhǎng): squad leader, team leader.
- 校長(こうちょう, 교장, xiàozhǎng): principal, headmaster.